The next significant chapter in St Andrew’s history came in the early 19th century. A committee created to undertake the ‘repair, alteration and beautifying’ of the church, which reported in 1818, appointed Joseph Henry Good to take care of the building’s interior. His major changes included the creation of a new, second gallery at the church’s west end .Good would later become the Clerk for Works for the Tower of London and Somerset House.
The site was to receive yet more attention as the century went on. The construction of the Holborn Viaduct from 1863 (and subsequent creation of St Andrew Street) meant that the Parish Court House and Rectory to the west of the Church had to be demolished. The ‘rogue architect’ Samuel Sanders Teulon was commissioned in 1868 to build their replacements, though his remit was soon extended to improvements of the Church as well. His alterations, such as the removal of the west gallery in order to expose the 15th century arch at the end of the nave, sparked controversy. Some bemoaned the fact that they would take the church in a ‘Romeward direction’, while one writer in The Builder suggested that Teulon was doing a ‘most wanton injury to the fabric’. This conflict was indicative of a wider stylistic one between the Gothic Revival and classical architecture; between a Victorian desire for progress and faithfulness to the past.
Meanwhile, St. Andrew’s continued to have connections with significant individuals. Marc Brunel, father of Isambard Kingdom, was married here in 1799, and Benjamin Disraeli was christened as a 12-year-old at the church in 1817. In particular, St Andrew Holborn has links with medical history. In 1827, Dr William Marsden found a young girl dying from exposure in the Churchyard. No hospitals would treat her, and she subsequently died. It was this shocking event which inspired Marsden to found the Royal Free Hospital. The tomb of the 18th century philanthropist Thomas Coram, who created the London Foundling Hospital, has been at St Andrew’s since the 1961 when the Foundling Hospital closed its site in Berkhamstead.